Tastes like soft cakes, but better!
The first time, that I’ve made this cake was for a tasting at the organic store (I work at) and the customers loved it! Well, so did I.
I used a square baking tin, but you can also make it as a sheet cake.
The best way to match the orange cake is of course an orange jam! This time I had no more at home and took mango jam – it was also very tasty!
Orange cake with jam and chocolate
A fruity, simple recipe for everyone!
- 250 g vegan butter/margarine room temperature
- 250 g raw cane sugar or regular/coconut blossum sugar
- one pinch of salt
- 10 g vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g apple sauce unsweetened
- fresh peel of 2 Oranges organic!
- juice of 1/2 orange
- 200 ml unsweetened soy drink or other
- 400 g spelt flour ,Type 630 or wheat/all purpose flour
- 20 g corn starch
- 15 g baking powder I used rhine tartar baking powder
- optional: a few drops of orange oil
- about 250g orange jam or other
- 150 g dark chocolate /couverture
- Whisk the vegan butter with the sugar, salt, vanilla sugar and apple sauce in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Add the grated orange peel, the orange juice and soy drink and stir again.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C /350°F (top and bottom heat). Mix the flour with the cornstarch and baking powder in a separate bowl. Then mix the flour mixture with the rest of the batter until you get a creamy, lump-free mass.
- Put the dough in a baking pan. I used a square shape (22x22cm). Alternatively, you can make the cake as a sheet cake (see notes below).
- Bake the cake until golden brown for about 60 minutes. The baking time can vary depending on the oven and baking pan. Just do the test by pricking the cake with a small wooden stick. No more raw dough should stick to it.
- After the cake has cooled, you can cut it across (I used a bread knife). You can now spread the jam between the two layers. I used 2/3 from the jar and spread the rest on top of the cake. Finally, you can melt the couverture and spread it on the cake.
This recipe can also be made as a sheet cake! Spread the dough on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for approx. 30 min. The cake should have a light, golden brown color. Immediately after baking, poke small holes in the cake with a toothpick and then spread the jam on top. If necessary, this can be diluted with a little water so that it can be distributed a little better. In the last step, melt the couverture as described in the instructions and spread it over the cake.
I can’t wait to hear your feedback!
If you post a story/post on Instagram, make sure to tag me (@ginaa_marie99), so I can share your creations in my story.