Last Monday was my mom’s birthday and I’ve made this summary and fresh lemon mango cake! We had our whole family and my mom’s friends over and everyone loved the cake. There was only one piece left, which my mom took to work for her colleges. They enjoyed it too!
You might be able to tell from the picture that the cake layers are really moist and not as “light” as usual ones. That’s because I added mango soy yogurt and mango puree to the dough. I really like a moist cake but if you rather like it to be light and fluffy I suppose you should leave out the yogurt.Also the cake itself doesn’t have a strong mango but rather lemon taste, which is my the little mango pieces between the layers are the highlight!
- 400g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 150g coconut sugar ( or usual sugar) – add more if you like it sweeter
- 50 ml plant oil ( coconut/sunflower/rap seed)
- 100g unsweetened ( mango) soy yogurt
- 100ml aquafaba ( water from a can of chickpeas)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- lemon peel from one small lemon
- 100g (frozen) mango
- pinch of salt
- 200 ml plant milk
- 1 flax egg or chi egg
- 300 ml vegan ( whipped) cream *
- 1 package cream stiffener
- 1tsp vanilla
- 40g powdered sugar
- 200g mango
- natural yellow food coloring
* You can also make whipped cream out of coconut milk, if you know which coconut milk / brand works for you and if you know how to do it. I have not succeeded yet..:D
- In a mixer blend mango and plant milk to a smooth smoothie.
- Whip the aquafaba in a slim cup until its stiff. ( Works the same as with egg whites).
- In a big bowl mix the rest of wet ingredients ( except the stiff aquafaba) and the mango smoothie.
- Roughly mix the dry ingredients in another bowl, add them to the wet mixture and use a hand mixer to get a well combined dough.
- Carefully fold in the stiff aquafaba ( for example with a spachelor). Don’t stir too much or too fast!
- Spread the cake dough on a baking sheet ( prepared with baking paper) or if you have 3 equal, round cake tins, you can use these as well.
- Bake for 10 min ( in the cake tins probably a little longer).
- Let it cool down and use a template ( can be easily made with cardboard) to cut out your layers. Use the excess cake for cake pops for example!
- Whip your vegan cream, add in the vanilla, cream stiffener and powdered sugar.
- Cut the mango into small pieces.
- Layer your torte! Start with a cake base, then spread some cream( around 1 big tbsp) and half of the mango pieces on it and then cake again. I didn’t add mango on top but that’s totally up to you!
- Use the rest of the cream to cover the sides of the cake. If you can’t a touch of color, use a natural food coloring and color about 1 tbsp. of the whipped cream. Add this to the cake last!
- Store in the fridge until serving!
If you’re trying any of my recipes, make sure to tag me ( if you post it on instagram) so I won’t miss your creation and can share it in my story. I hope you love it as much as I do!