Last week I had a blueberry muffin in a cafe and it was yummy, but I felt like a touch of lemon would make it even better. So I made some myself!
I didn’t use any oil or fat and I also used birch sugar ( xylit), which has 40% less calories, instead of regular sugar. Of course you can also use coconut sugar or regular sugar instead 🙂
The muffins are rather on the chewy/ compact side. They are not heavy or fudgy like a brownie, just not extremely fluffy! I might post a fluffy version in the future, if you’d like. Maybe your’s will turn out differently depending on the flour(s) you use, plus if you add protein powder ( like I did) or not. Either way, they were delicious!
Recipe ( 12 muffins)
- 200 g apple sauce
- 200 ml plant milk
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp flax seeds + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150g sugar/coconut sugar/ birch sugar( xylit)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100g oat flour ( blended oats in a mixer )
- 50g coconut flour
- 50g rice flour ( can be replaced by plain flour too)
- 50g plant protein ( can be replaced with a flour of choice, except coconut flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda ( German: Natron)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1tbsp powdered sugar / powdered birch sugar
- 1tsp water
- Prepare the flax egg in a small bowl or glass.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a big bowl and add the flax egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Pour the flour mixture into the big bowl with the wet mixture and stir until its well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C ( 350°F) , upper and lower heat
- Put the dough into 12 muffin tins, preferably placed in a muffin sheet, so they won’t loose their form while baking ( or just use an oiled muffin sheet).
- Cover them with frozen blueberries and bake them for 25 min. Use a toothpick/skewer to check if they are ready.
- Let them cool down, stir the two ingredients for the frosting together and drizzle it over your muffins.
Hope you enjoy 🙂
If you’re trying any of my recipes, make sure to tag me ( if you post it on instagram) so I won’t miss your creation and can share it in my story. I hope you love it as much as I do!